HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
Office of the National Safety Regulator (ONRSR) Authorised Person
We tailor the content of this course to your Drug and Alcohol Policy and Procedure. This assists your entire workforce to understand exactly what their responsibilities are in contributing to a safe working environment.
Education and awareness on the effects of alcohol and drug use or misuse in the workplace is an important first step when introducing a policy and procedure, or when refreshing your current policy and procedure.
In all cases, workers need to understand the negative impact and consequences of misuse of drugs and alcohol and drugs on not just the user, but colleagues and the entire business. In addition to the impact on health and safety outcomes, individuals need to understand what a breach of the policy may mean to their employment status.
This course is strongly recommended for all employees:
- Prior to testing for the first time in your workforce,
- When there is a significant change in your current policy and procedure, or
- As a refresher of your existing policy and procedure
There is a business obligation to ensure your workers are kept up to date with health and safety issues, regardless of industry. Education and awareness on the effects of alcohol and drugs provide workers with the opportunity to make informed lifestyle decisions outside the workplace, which impacts and aims to improve their fitness for work whilst they are in the workplace and to not be ‘under the influence’.
The course includes the following:
- Why conduct alcohol and drug testing in the workplace
- Alcohol and its effects on the body
- Drugs known to affect a person’s behaviour and fitness for work
- Australian and New Zealand Standards for Oral fluid (AS/NZS 4760:2019) and Urine (AS/NZS 4308:2008)
- Detection timeframes
- Drugs that are tested and their effects on the body
- Short and long-term risks and harms
- Counselling and support