Introducing Safework Health’s New Certified Urine Health Surveillance Service
We are excited to introduce our new NATA accredited health surveillance testing service, which helps businesses monitor their workers’ exposure to hazardous chemicals.
This cutting-edge service is designed to help businesses detect workers’ exposure to isocyanates and phenols, enabling them to ensure the safety and well-being of their employees while complying with occupational health and safety regulations.
Key features of our biological monitoring service include:
- Rapid Turnaround Time: Time is of the essence in health surveillance schemes. With our commitment to a 5-day turnaround for results, businesses can promptly implement corrective measures, mitigating potential exposures and safeguarding their workers’ health effectively.
- Nationwide Accessibility: We service every state and territory in Australia, ensuring businesses across the country have access to reliable health monitoring solutions. Whether operating in urban centres or remote locations, businesses can now protect their workers’ health regardless of their geographic location.
- NATA Accreditation: Our Brisbane laboratory is at the forefront of excellence in health surveillance. Our chemical testing laboratory is one of the first commercial laboratories in Australia to be awarded NATA accreditation for determining isocyanate and phenol exposure in the workplace. This certification provides assurance that we adhere to the highest standards of quality and accuracy.
- Efficient Testing Method: We use urine testing to assess the level of exposure to hazardous chemicals. Urine testing is a cost-effective and fast way to monitor workers’ health. This approach makes it feasible for businesses of all sizes to implement health monitoring programs.
What Are Isocyanates?
Isocyanates are widely used chemicals in occupational settings for:
- spray painting / coating
- manufacturing of polyurethane-based foams, synthetic rubbers and plastics
- automotive industry (repair, manufacturing, finishing)
- coal mining industry.
They can cause health issues like allergic dermatitis, conjunctivitis, and asthma due to skin and respiratory tract sensitisation.
What Are Phenols?
Phenol serves as a versatile disinfectant, reagent in chemical analysis, and is used in the production of artificial resins, organic compounds, and dyes.
Long-term exposure to phenol can lead to various health issues, including vertigo, digestive difficulties, skin eruptions, nervous problems, headaches, and potential damage to the liver or kidneys.
Importance of Health Monitoring for Workers
Employees who work with hazardous chemicals are exposed to potential health risks that may not be immediately evident.
Regular health monitoring is crucially important to detect any potential adverse effects on workers’ health and to ensure their overall well-being is safeguarded.
By adopting a comprehensive health monitoring for exposure to hazardous chemicals scheme, businesses can effectively monitor the health of their workers, enabling them to identify potential exposures early and take preventive measures.